University of Technology, Sydney

Staff directory | Campus maps | Newsroom | What's on

When things aren't going well

There are systems and procedures in place to help you manage your degree. They are also there to protect you and ensure academic integrity. Knowledge is power and you are always better equipped if you understand the system in which you are studying.

One of the best ways to get ahead is to take charge of your situation. If your lecturer or Disability Services Officer (DSO) doesn't seem to understand your needs, take the time to explain yourself. Be prepared to brainstorm different solutions together. After all, it's an investment in your future - and you'll be helping other students at the same time.

So, if you are not coping or your health takes a turn for the worse, don't give up.

  • If you need to take extended time away from university, you must complete a Leave of Absence form. There is flexibility for students with disabilities when it comes to the minimum rate of progress (MRP) requirements set down by your Faculty.
  • Student Services run a series of study skills workshops for those placed on Academic Caution.
  • Still confused? Staff at the Student Centres at both UTS City and Kuring-gai campuses can advise on how to approach your particular situation.